Snow=Water

February 17, 2015 by Andrew Robinson in

I’m trying to not let this cold weather get to me but occasionally it does. Like when I walk from the parking garage behind Whitman to OTN, which is perhaps a little less than three blocks, and my face just hurts. Talking pain here.

But then I read in the New York Times this week that NASA is predicting a “megadrought” for the southwestern United States in 35 years. The consequences of something like that could be catastrophic. And it’s not that hard to believe as I’ve already read about droughts and severe water shortages sprinkled throughout the United States mostly in the south and west.

But here in Central New York water is something we have plenty of. We go to the faucet, turn it, it comes out. Always. I think we take fresh, clean water for granted.

I have come to believe that there is no free lunch wherever one lives. Here in the northeast we endure (although I would say endure is not a strong enough word for the folks in Boston this year) winter. The south is almost as inhabitable in the summer due to the heat than winter is here. The Midwest has tornados. The mid Atlantic and south eastern coastal US and Gulf of Mexico has hurricanes. The west can’t get enough snow and rain to fill its lakes. There is something to “endure” no matter where you live.

So as I feel the pain of the cold walking to work every day, shoveling my driveway, walking the dog and on and on, I try to think about those first few days of spring when the snow is melting and filling our lakes with water. I’ll think of August, the dog days of summer, when I can wash my car or water my lawn without regret. We’ll pile into my in-laws pontoon boat and take a ride on the lake and saddle up to the dock when we’re done and not worry about whether the water is too low to get to the dock. And when my water bill comes and I see how reasonable it is, I’ll pay it.

Snow is something I really don’t mind because instead of snow I see water.

If we could just temper this with a little less cold . . . .

Andy- The GM