Be advised

September 18, 2014 by Andrew Robinson in Uncategorized, OTN Events,

This is a rant.

I have seen this too many times: young people on this campus, presumably students, crossing a street without so much as taking a glance at the cars that are coming and going. The thought bubbles over their heads might read something like “Hey, I’m in the crosswalk and you’re supposed to stop for me.”

I have vented enough steam out of my ears over this over the last forty years to power a turbine to light the city of Syracuse for years.

It’s true, pedestrians have the right of way . . . “When there is no traffic control signal, drivers must yield the right-of-way to pedestrians, particularly if a pedestrian is in a crosswalk, or there is potential danger to the pedestrian [Section 1151, NYS Vehicle & Traffic Law].”

Here’s problem number one: you don’t have the right of way ALL THE TIME!
Here’s problem number two: not all drivers KNOW THE RULE
Here’s problem number three: a car is a 3000-pound weapon of mass destruction and when rules one and two combine, you’re toast.

Time and time again I see a student casually stroll across the street, in a crosswalk, with this feeling of, well, entitlement.

So just accept the fact that you are part of this big messy world where irresponsible, careless or lazy drivers exist who don’t fully grasp (or care) about you. Hard as that might be to believe, those people exist.

Second, do yourself and your family a favor and watch where you’re going. It’s not a sign of weakness or stupidity. It’s a sign of strength. And brains.

Andy- The GM